My Top 5 Tips for Building A Booming Beauty Business
So, you bought LipSense, love the product, and decided that you could build a business. You were really excited the first 3 weeks and your friends and family purchased from you and you thought to yourself: "Wow, it can only go up from here!"
Fast forward 3 months, or a year, and your business is exactly where you left it when all that excitement wore off because you realized that building a business is hard work.
Here's a little secret...BUILDING A BUSINESS IS HARD WORK!
Yes, it's exciting to be doing your own thing and the potential income is really alluring, but if you don't have the basics down and a guide to go by, your business will never become the empire you want it to.
I totally know the feeling.
So, read below as I take you through my top 5 tips that every #bossbabe should know to make a powerful and positive impact in the beauty industry.
1. BE CONSISTENT
People in your life notice when you're not consistent. Consistency builds credibility. Consistency also builds your reputation. When someone is late to an appointment we either say “that’s typical” or “that is out of character”. That person has built a reputation based upon consistent behavior.
Whatever platform you set out to be on, set a goal to be consistent. Your rhythm and workflow must be sustainable. If you're on social media, one post a day is better than 5 posts in a day and then nothing for 5 days.
We also know that it takes the average person 8 times to hear your message before they take action. Couple this with that only 16% of your audience see your Facebook or Instagram posts and you can see how consistency is important. Think about that. Let’s say that your friend sees 1 out of 5 of your posts. If it takes the average person 8 times, then that means you will have to post 40 times to reach them.
Are you struggling with being consistent? Try working on these 3 areas and I promise your consistency will become a habit in no time:
Run With What You Know
- We all want to be creative geniuses but when we stray from what we know, we often spend WAY too much time trying to come up with clever stuff. Spend 80% of your time doing things and sharing in ways that are natural to you and spend 20% of your time working on new and better. That way, you can turn out content consistently AND always improve your game!
Create A Vision
If you think vision boards are bogus, then the joke’s on you. They work, and there’s actually a really simple explanation of why they work so well. Creating a sacred space that displays what you want actually does bring it to life. What we focus on expands. When you create a vision board and place it in a space where you see it often, you essentially end up doing short visualization exercises throughout the day.
Know Your Why & The How Will Come
- Simon Sinek says: "Everybody has a Why. Why do you get up in the morning? Why does your organization exist? Your Why is the purpose, cause or belief that inspires you to do what you do. When you think, act and communicate starting with Why, you can inspire others." Getting this down not only helps you keep a focused vision but it reminds you why you do what you do on those hard days. Need help establishing your Why? Click here: Find your Why
2. SHARE YOUR PASSION
If you've read my "About Me" page, you know that I’m passionate about making beauty simple and accessible while helping others enhance their INHERENT beauty. I help simplify beauty routines by giving honest and real beauty tips, tricks, reviews, and products.
I am passionate about social media. I’m passionate about helping women. I’m passionate about my husband and kids. Passion is the energy that keeps us going, that keeps us filled with meaning, and happiness, and excitement, and anticipation. Passion is a powerful force in accomplishing anything you set your mind to, and in experiencing work and life the fullest extent possible.
Ultimately, passion is the driving force behind success and happiness that allows us all to live better lives. So if you want to succeed, be passionate about your business.
"Passion always pays off"
3. CREATE YOUR OWN CONTENT
This is a hot topic for me. There is nothing more disappointing than spending time and money on content only to find that someone stole your work, removed your branding, and passed it off as their own. It feels awful. And if you're the person stealing, it may keep people coming around but it won't give your followers anything authentic, they won't come to like, know or trust you, and you'll struggle (see point 1 about consistency) to create. Here are a few reasons why you want to make sure you create your own content.
- If you are talking about the same concepts and content as your competitors, what value are you adding to the conversation? Are you truly providing anything that will differentiate you from someone else doing the same thing, over the thousands of other messages out there your customers are possibly engaging with? People don't follow you, buy from you, learn from you, or take any other action because it's awesome. They do all that because YOU'RE awesome - YOU. They want to see how you wear LipSense, what colors YOU like, how many different ways YOU use your products, how YOU balance work, life, family, and everything else you have going on. When you create your own content, you are telling your followers, customers, and audience that they're important enough to give them a little piece of YOU.
- If you take something that someone else created and cut out their watermarks, or pass it off as your own, you're stealing. Plain and simple. It cheapens the hard work they did and you do AND contributes to a poor reputation. Be You. And if you do occasionally want to show someone else's work, it's always a good idea to ask AND give them credit. People show up for people who show up for them and if there's anything I've learned by running my own business and building my own content it's that I love to support other women who are doing the same.
4. LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR SOFTWARE PLATFORMS (including the back office to your business)
You might know the Back Office as the place you go to place orders and see inventory. But, it’s much more than that. As a Senegence representative, you have access to a wealth of exclusive (and free) systems, tools and training to help you grow a successful Senegence business.
Your back office is where all of your day-to-day business tasks are at your fingertips. This versatile online business center is primed for your success and – best of all – it’s open 24/7 - and is especially helpful when your upline isn't available! In the back office you can:
- Refer friends and sign them up as new members
- Set up your personalized Senesite to share Senegence with the world
- View commission statements and see the residual income you’ve earned from your customers
- Get details on fun-filled events and promotions to get the full Senegence experience
- Connect with your team
- View order history, sales reports, price lists and much more
- Edit your personal profile and stay up to date on all things Senegence
- Access forms (promotional and compliance documents) in the library
5. KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS (see #2 and #4)
Know what you're talking about. Seems like common sense, right? If you are shopping for a car are you going to ask and buy from the guy who has never driven a car, has never been in a car, and doesn't know anything about them? Or are you going to ask and eventually buy from the guy who is passionate about cars, can give you the truth about wear and tear, performance, gas mileage, warranty, insurance, and how fast you can comfortably take a corner without skidding out of control?
You're going to go with the car nut. The guy who eats, breathes, and LIVES cars. It's the same way with makeup or anything else that you, as a consumer, consider investing time or money in. People want experts.
Being an expert does not mean you need a PhD. It means you're knowledgeable about ingredients, wear and tear, performance, technology, and anything else that makes your product a unique edge in the marketplace. Spend the time to learn about your company, product, and your very own personal style.
Bottom line? Be you. Be Passionate. Know Your Craft. Be Excellent.
People (your followers and customers) will notice when you do these things. Be the expert you want to learn and buy from. If you do this, your business and YOU will be unstoppable!